The BHSECQ PTA is an organization that extends free membership exclusively to BHSECQ families, faculty and staff. We are governed by our bylaws and the NYC Department of Education Regulation A-660.
Our mission is three-fold:
- Support students, parents and faculty of Bard High School Early College Queens so our children can excel.
- Advocate for our parents and students at large to bring positive change.
- Conduct fundraising activities to support students, parents and faculty at BHSEC.
Our goals are simple: setting by example, for our young people, the importance of commitment, integrity and confidence in school and life. After all, every school is simply mortar and bricks but for the hard work and commitment of its students faculty, staff and PARENTS! The success of our program depends upon parents keeping a ‘hands on’ approach to ensuring the academic success of every student. However, academic success is not all that we seek to give our children. We also want them to enjoy the activities and events that will make their years spent at BHSECQ a memorable experience.
PTA meetings are held monthly, September through June and are open to the BHSECQ community. The PTA meets and discusses issues that help benefit our children and our school. The meetings are an excellent way to keep up with what is happening at the school. Engaging talks by guest speakers are often scheduled for the meetings. We try to share information via emails from the PTA and Principal, but highly recommend that you also attend the meetings. Minutes from the meetings are published online here and are available in the main office at school.
Meetings are held in the 7th floor cafeteria or 8th floor auditorium at BHSECQ, 30-20 Thomson Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101
HOW WE HELP
The PTA assists in sponsoring more than 25 student clubs, the Student Ambassador Program as well as many school-wide/faculty events. The PTA also assists in purchasing the school agendas all the students are given.
Events that we host or assist with have included:
- Welcome Potluck for 9th graders and their families
- Faculty Appreciation Dinner in the fall and spring
- International Night featuring student performances and an elaborate parent provided meal
- Knowledge College
- Spring Fling Party for Parents and Silent Auction
- Special speakers at monthly PTA meetings
- Various graduation‐related events
We ask parents to consider making a voluntary contribution of $30 per month or $300 annually for the school year. To do so, just click here.
There are many ways to get involved. Some examples include:
- Serve on one of our standing committees – budget, audit, nominating.
- Raise funds by doing things like selling “Bardware” (eg t‐shirts, sweatshirts with the Bard logo), helping at the annual appeal and phonathon; and attending the spring fundraiser.
Volunteer your time at PTA event or school function. Many hands make for lighter work and we’d love to get to know you better!
- Help maintain and improve our website, calendar and contact information; regular e‐news bulletins to parents.
- Just join! We’d love to have you and appreciate any and all support!
Being an active member of the PTA offers many benefits – keeping up with what’s happening at school, a chance to connect with other parents, hearing from speakers on topics of interest to you, and helping to determine how our PTA funds are spent.